Let’s give you the scoop on some of the new flavors at Pace.
- Put your erasers away, Blackboard got upgraded to version 9.0. Which means what? Increased user-friendliness, for one thing. New features include the addition of blogs and journals. For Blackboard 9 Resources, click here. And before ITS even had a chance to breathe, they’ve already started working to upgrade to version 9.1 and support Bb Mobile, a version of Blackboard that works on selected mobile devices. Additionally, the course quota has been increased from 250MB to 2GB—allowing more space for each course and giving faculty the opportunity to increase multimedia use in teaching.
- Banner got better! Banner and all third-party products have been upgraded to the latest 8.0 releases, providing an enhanced Internet Native Banner and user-friendly Self Service Banner environments to students, faculty, and staff.
- Can I get my classroom to-go?: Two mobile classrooms on the NYC and PLV campuses, providing up to 30 laptops to students during a classroom session, are now available for you. When the laptops are not being used, they will be circulated in the Library. Faculty interested in this project should contact the Educational Media Center at: email@example.com or call Richard Miller at 212-346-1550.
- Classrooms and lecture halls get digital: Beginning in the fall, all Pace classrooms will be equipped with built-in computers, projectors, and screens. Plus, 10 new high end classrooms and 2 lecture halls will be available with feature-rich, fully-integrated touch screen control systems, blu-ray players, annotation capability, and easy laptop/device hook ups. For a complete list of the spaces being outfitted with technology over the summer, click here. For any issues using classroom technology, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All issues will automatically generate an ITS Helpdesk ticket and be swiftly addressed.
- Video killed the radio star: High-definition, state-of-the-art video conferencing rooms were constructed at the following three locations: Miller, Room 16, in PLV, Graduate Center, Room 509, in WP, and One Pace Plaza, Room E319, in NYC, encouraging students, faculty, and staff to communicate among campuses. Rooms come equipped with full digital collaboration capabilities, large screen displays, integrated controls, and remote access tools such as Movi, which allows students and faculty to participate remotely via their own computer.
- It’s time to cut the cords: So long, pesky ethernet cables. Wireless has come to town! As of July, all Pace classrooms and dorms have been equipped with robust wireless access.
- Movers and shakers: The Doc Services Copy Center in Willcox got a bit of a makeover this summer along with an expansion to accommodate the relocation of the high-volume production center, and expanded services and quicker turnaround times for print projects. And the Copy Center won’t be lonely, as it just got a new neighbor at Willcox: the ITS Helpdesk and Client Services have moved offices from Briarcliff in effort to be more accessible to its clients. Additionally, the Helpdesk will run on extended hours for the first two weeks of the semester: Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–7:00 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
Stay tuned for more ch-ch-ch-ch-changes coming soon or check out the ITS News site.