All Abroad!

Three Pace students are among the 700 outstanding American undergraduate students from 270 colleges and universities across the U.S., who have been selected to receive the prestigious Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, to participate in a study abroad or international internship program during the summer 2013 academic term. The total amount of summer scholarship funding awarded to Pace students by Gilman is $12,000.

The Summer 2013 Gilman Scholarship recipients are:

Jacqueline Kelleher ’15, a Political Science and Arts and Entertainment Management double major, will be participating in the Pace Exchange Program at Lingnan University in Hong Kong.  “I chose to study abroad to immerse myself in a place that is unfamiliar to me, to reflect on my education in America, and to see what other institutions have to offer. Receiving the Gilman scholarship is a true blessing and I can’t wait to share my experience with my fellow Pace students when I return in the fall,” she says.

Kelleher is a 2013-2014 Head Delegate for Pace’s award-winning Model UN team, a Resident Advisor, Vice President of the Arts and Entertainment Management Industry Network, and a UNV 101 and Dyson House Peer Leader.

Diana De Paula, an International Management major with a dual minor in Latin American Studies and Marketing, will be studying at St. Petersburg State University in Russia, through the Council on International Educational Exchange. Additionally, De Paula was one of only 30 students awarded a Critical Need Language Enhancement Award to study Russian. When asked why she chose to study abroad, she quoted Mark Twain: “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.”

During the upcoming academic year she will serve as Student Government’s Executive Vice President. In the past she has held numerous leadership roles on campus such as being a Resident Advisor for two years and SGA Lubin School of Business President. Outside of Pace she has interned at NBC and currently works at SEBA International, a leading boutique executive search firm.

Jia Jun Chen ’16, an International Business major, will participate in the Pace Exchange Program at Lingnan University in Hong Kong.

“Study abroad experiences can enhance my global knowledge of the world including, culture, language, and economy, preparing me for a more successful career in international management,” she says.

Jun Chen is also a member of Sigma Alpha Pi, the National Honor Society of Leadership and was recently accepted to the National Honor Society for sophomores, Lambda Delta. She is also a national member of Ascend, the professional organization of Pan-Asian business leaders.

Interested in applying for a Gilman scholarship or other international fellowships and scholarships? Visit the Pace Prestigious Fellowships and Scholarships website to learn more.

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email