Career Services Student Spotlight

In this month’s spotlight, PLV Communications major Olivia Brooks talks falling in love with education, interning at Bvlgari, and how Career Services has served her.

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I am proof that it is never too late to return to the classroom and that if you want to change your life all you have to do is do it! Two years ago I decided that I would do just that, I found myself in a job that left little opportunity for my continued growth, after much thought and prayer I left my job in search of a career.

I knew that the only way to get the fruits of the dream that I envisioned for myself was to continue my education. I threw myself in head first and have yet to come up for air. I never thought that I would fall in love with education the way that I have. I have become not only an inspiration to myself but to so many others who struggled with the decision of returning to the classroom. I now like to think of myself as an education ambassador.

My major is Communications with a double minor in Art History and Public Relations. Pace has allowed me the freedom to explore my options and the ability to combine three of my passions into a future. I am more focused than I have ever been in my life and look forward to the next chapter of my life. 

What internships are you currently participating in or have completed?
I am currently in an internship for Bvlgari Corp. of America—one of the world’s leading luxury jewelers, who has now branched themselves into many facets of luxury design, including a luxury hotel line. I am interning at their NYC corporate headquarters in their luxury event planning divison. This opportunity is the stepping stone to so many other wonderful opportunities I know are right around the corner. I owe this all to the choice I made in Pace University, an institution which ranks in the top 5 in the country in assisting their students in obtaining the internships that I know are not available to all.

How did you get involved with Career Services and what resources would you recommend to other students?
My involvement was seamless. I found myself at the threshold of Ms. Ivy Rivera, Assistant Director of Career Services, at the very beginning of the semester. During this meeting I explained to Ms. Rivera where I have been and where I was going. She could see almost immediately that drive and enthusiasm within me for an opportunity outside of the classroom that would allow me real world practice in the field. I highly recommend that each student develop a relationship with career services, pay attention to their advice, and don’t look to set out on your own. The relationships that you build today are the building blocks of tomorrow.

What do you like most about being a Pace University student?
I find myself in good company, from the students to the professors. We are all there with one common goal.

What are your plans for the future?
I would love to partake in the NBC page program and start a career working for E! News. I could also very well see myself working as a luxury event planner for a well-known corporation such as Bvlgari. The sky is the limit and I am open to explore whatever opportunity comes my way!

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email