A Paramount Success

Every day, Pace students are taking advantage of the endless opportunities the city has to offer. Sean Green ’14, who’s pursuing a degree in communication studies with a minor in film studies,  is utilizing Pace’s location along with the awesome skills he’s gained while in college to reach his full potential. Sean is definitely a success story, and while Pace helped him get there, his motivation is what has propelled him to a promising future.

But his time at the university hasn’t always been simple. Weeks before his scheduled arrival to the University, Sean’s family suffered a tremendous loss—the passing of his sister. While it would have been acceptable for him to take a semester or year off to deal with his grief, Sean chose to move into Maria’s Tower and begin his freshman year of college on time. This dedication has translated into his time here at Pace.

Sean credits two professors with his success thus far and helping him work through this rough first semester of college: Communications Professor and academic adviser Emilie Zaslow, PhD, and Economics Professor Mark Weinstock. As his adviser, Professor Zaslow helped him through his difficult few months at Pace and assisted in his adjustment to university life.

Sean explained, “She was so incredibly helpful in my particular situation and getting me to not only adjust to being a college student, but my new life. She was always there for me when I wanted to ask a question or just wanted to talk.”

Sean has also found guidance from Professor Weinstock, who expressed his support and pride in Sean’s decision to come to Pace regardless of the hardships he faced. With Professor Weinstock’s encouragement, Sean worked more diligently and has maintained a stellar GPA.

After his sister’s death, Sean founded the KG Foundation to keep his sister’s name alive.  Every year he helps run and organize fundraisers that have been attended by 250 people. The KG foundation raised $10,000 in their last outing in March of 2011. Sean also aided in establishing the “Kristin Green: Apple of my Eye” program, which has given fifth graders in his school district on Long Island Mac computers.

Between all the roles Sean has filled, he has also been successful in balancing a part-time job at Urban Outfitters, 18 credits worth of classes, and his current internship with Paramount Pictures. Sean heard about this internship through E-recruiting with the University’s Career Services. Many students struggle to find internships in their chosen field, but with help from Career Services, Sean was on his way to a dream internship in no time. “I worked with [Career Services] on my resume and cover letter, which I really do think helped me get the job!” he says.

At Paramount, Sean interns with the Field Marketing and Publicity Department. With each Paramount film that is released, he and his fellow interns complete “college directives” to promote the films. He has been assigned to promote the films in young adult markets and organizes events throughout the semester. He performs tasks like creating a “campus snow day” for the film Rise of the Guardians, and has a “Jobs in Aviation” event to promote the film Flight. Though he is not 100 percent sure of what he wants to pursue after college, Sean knows these opportunities have helped guide and prepare him for success after graduation.

“These experiences have greatly influenced my future career plans because I learned that I do not want to be just ‘a number’ in a corporation but I want to matter in the output of the company that I work for,” Sean says.

This spring, Sean will be taking advantage of another exciting opportunity–spending a semester abroad studying at Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia. Whether on the Eastern Seaboard or amid the Indian Pacific, Sean undoubtedly will continue to be a Pace success story well into his future.

Written by Pace student Sarah Aires ’14

Interested in sharing your Pace Success Story? E-mail pulse@pace.edu and let us know what you’ve been up to at Pace!

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email