Career Services Student Spotlight

Joseph Loizzo

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I was attending the College of Staten Island when I had to withdraw from my classes. I was in the U.S. Army and in 2009 I was unexpectedly called for a mission in Iraq. Out there I needed to find a hobby to fill my free time so I began reading investment books. My interest peaked causing me to transfer to Pace where I can be in the heart of the Financial District.

What co-op/internships are you currently participating in or have completed?
I recently wrapped up an accounting internship at the accounting firm of Alex A. Grasso. I used the Pace Experience website to get that position. Through developing a connection that I made at a Pace University Career Fair I was able to network for a summer 2012 internship in finance at the Bank of New York Mellon.

How did you get involved with Career Services and what resources would you recommend to other students?
There are various professional student organizations at Pace University. I would recommend that every student gets set up on the Pace Experience portal as soon as possible, and involved with a professional student organization. Make a two to three year plan and stay on task. It helps to be surrounded by people with similar goals and employers seek out students who are involved on campus.

What do you like most about being a Pace University student?
Beta Alpha Psi was a great experience. The professional student honors society is geared towards accounting, finance, and information systems majors. Being involved with them provides direct exposure to the Big 4 Accounting firms. In addition, active members can learn how to coordinate community service events and have a chance to serve on their Executive Board. There’s no better way to develop professionally in college than to be active in a great organization.

What are your plans for the future?
I will continue to participate in activities that add value to myself both personally and professionally. I plan to graduate in December 2012 and then I can begin my career in either accounting or finance, or as an entrepreneur—time will tell.

Do you want to be featured in Career Services’ next intern spotlight? Market yourself and be the envy of your friends as they run your story and help build your brand. All current Pace University students and all majors are eligible. Submit your story today!

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email