Career Services Student Spotlight

Dyson student and Chi-town native Nellie Lopez ’12 dishes on her public relations internships, networking at professional events, and moving to Europe in the latest Career Services Student Spotlight.

Nellie Lopez '12

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I am originally from Chicago, Illinois and I came to New York City to pursue my undergraduate degree at Pace University. I have greatly enjoyed my experience as a college student living in New York City. The past four years have allowed me to grow as an individual and in a professional manner. I will be graduating this summer and I am very excited to begin life after college.

What co-op/internships are you currently participating in or have completed?  
During the summer of 2011 I was a Public Relations/Marketing Intern at Multicultural Marketing Resources, a public relations and marketing firm that represents leading experts in marketing to multicultural consumers. This position required me to research media outlets for media outreach projects as well as edit and summarize press releases for a monthly newsletter. I was also responsible for updating the company website, contact database, and social media web pages.

During the fall semester of 2011 I was a Public Relations Intern at Sarah Hall Productions, a boutique public relations firm which handles lifestyle and entertainment accounts. As a Public Relations Intern I prepared media lists for Account Executives, assembled press kits, and presented pitch ideas for media placements during staff meetings. My internship experiences have strengthened my confidence in my ability to work in a fast paced and detail-oriented environment.

How did you get involved with Career Services and what resources would you recommend to other students?
I became involved with Career Services during my first year of college, I met with a counselor who helped me develop an effective resume and cover letter. I attended the required workshops and began to apply for internships during my junior year. I would recommend other students to take advantage of not only the on-campus events, but also the external events that are listed by Career Services. I was able to attend the 2011 Student Communications Career Conference which provided me with valuable insight into my chosen career field. Conferences allow current students to gain expert knowledge from extremely talented professionals. Taking advantage of professional events allows you to network with others and possibly land that desired internship or job position.

What do you like most about being a Pace University student? 
Pace University really prepares its students to succeed not only academically, but also professionally. The Career Services that are provided effectively bridge that gap between college and the work force. I have also had some amazing professors who have been extremely helpful in sharing their knowledge, experiences, and advice. At Pace you can really develop interpersonal relationships with professors and your peers.

What are your plans for the future?
Following graduation I will be moving back to Chicago, Illinois where I plan to attend graduate school. I would like to work in public relations as an account executive in the Latino/Hispanic entertainment industry or for a nonprofit organization. I wish to find a job position with relocation opportunities and eventually live in Europe.