Career Services Student Spotlight

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
My name is Kaitlynn Blyth and I am a senior English Language and Literature major, with Communication Studies and Women’s and Gender Studies minors. Originally from Schoharie, NY (about 40 minutes outside of Albany) I decided to go to college where I could easily get a lot of internship experiences. I definitely made the right choice in this respect by choosing Pace!

What co-op/internships are you currently participating in or have completed?
I like internships, a lot, so I’m on my eighth and final one! I always did well in school, but found that I learned a lot more while in a real work environment. Because of this, I started interning when I was 16-years-old at my county offices in conjunction with the New York State Legislature. My senior year of high school, I was lucky enough to be accepted into a competitive program that allowed me to take college credits while doing two internships at the Hearst Corporation’s Times Union newspaper and a local PBS station in lieu of normal high school courses. Once college started, I didn’t stop. My first summer break, I was a Marketing Intern at Regent Communications (now Townsquare Media), a conglomerate of four of Albany’s major radio stations. From there, I’ve interned at Pace’s Public Information Department doing public relations; Bankable Enterprises (Tyra Banks’ main company) as a Web Intern and wrote a lot of articles for her website; NBC Universal-Oxygen as a Digital Editorial Intern doing anything from creating digital content, writing, editing, and much more; and lastly, Planned Parenthood Federation of America as an Online Marketing Intern, which I am continuing this spring semester.

How did you get involved with Career Services and what resources would you recommend to other students?
My involvement with Career Services is because of an initial interaction with Barry Miller, manager of Alumni Career Programs and Services. My senior year of high school while interning at the Times Union, I had a popular blog on their website where I posted my decision to attend Pace (with one of the reasons being its highly rated Career Services office). Barry Miller found my post, outreached to me, and finally by the end of my freshman year at Pace, met with him and was told how impressed he was with what I was doing at my age professionally. From there, he got me in contact with my Career Counselor, Jenna Campolieta. The rest is history!

I would recommend any resource from Career Services, as they are all essential to students’ professional growth. No matter how much an individual may think they are good at something, there is always room for improvement. For example, I know of a lot of students prior to their visits with Career Services who think their resumes look fantastic because they have gotten jobs from them. Once they visit the office and see where they can improve, they realize that the potential of getting their ideal position is more likely.

What do you like most about being a Pace University student?
As a graduating senior in May, my best experience as a Pace student has actually been with Career Services (and I pinky-promise I’m not saying this because I’m being highlighted either). I am a very good student with high grades, involved with many extracurricular activities and leadership roles, all while still having a social life. Having said that, being a “typical” Pace student, the place in the University I feel is the most supportive, willing to help, actually gets what goals you want to accomplish, what legacy you want to leave at the University, and most importantly really tries to build you up and help you help yourself so you can be what you want to be when you grow up is Career Services. It’s hands down the best service Pace has to offer its students and the best part of being a student here.

What are your plans for the future? 
My plans for the future are to just be happy in a personal and professional sense. My mother always told me I could be anything I wanted to be when I grew up, except when I told her I wanted to be a hairdresser (she didn’t like that too much). I have the knowledge, the tools, and the confidence to know that when I graduate and am all grown up, I can do whatever I want to do. I want to wake up every morning excited to go to work, despite whatever challenges I know will come my way. I know I can accomplish this because I believe in myself and feel that other students should feel the same way about themselves as well.

Do you want to be featured in Career Services’ next intern spotlight? Market yourself and be the envy of your friends as they run your story and help build your brand. All current Pace University students and all majors are eligible. Submit your story today!

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email