Career Services Student Spotlight

From the Sunshine State to the Big Apple! Pace student Shane Sethi explains why he traded in the sun for stocks and how Career Services has helped him with “one of the most beneficial experiences” of his life.

Shane Sethi '13

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
My name is Shane Sethi and I am from Venice, FL. I started at Pace in the spring of 2010. I started college in Florida studying Biology. After realizing that this was not the best choice for me I decided to change my major and start to look for a new school to attend. I did not want to spend my time doing something that I felt I could not turn into a career or provide the lifestyle that I want. After considering this change and looking at my options I decided to apply to Pace University and, upon my acceptance, I found myself relocating to New York.  After making my first trip to New York and meeting some of the Finance professors at Pace, I decided to major in Finance with a minor in Economics.     

What co-op/internships are you currently participating in or have completed?
During the time I have been involved with the Career Services office, I have had one internship at a derivative trading firm. This was one of the most beneficial experiences that I have had in my life. The best part about this firm is that it is very small so it was tremendously easy to communicate with everyone and take away knowledge from all the different traders. My boss turned out to be a great mentor who constantly sent me information to keep me very current and was always more than willing to speak to me about any issue that was taking place in the market.  My questions were always welcomed. This summer my boss sponsored me for a series 7 license. 

How did you get involved with Career Services and what resources would you recommend to other students?
I got involved with Career Services just by word of mouth on campus. When I was a freshman I was interested in finding an internship to get a jump start on a career path and that is what really attracted me to them. The best resource at Career Services is your counselor. Your career counselor will be the person there that will keep you connected with exactly what you want as far as an internship goes. Other things to take advantage of are resume assistance and the mock interviews. Most of the questions that I had practiced in the mock interviews I was asked in real interviews. 

What do you like most about being a Pace University student?
My favorite thing about Pace University is the type of environment that you are put into. I believe we have a student body that is highly involved with Pace which is something that attracted me towards the school. With a student body that has such a great amount of motivation there is a lot of opportunity to get involved. For instance, this past semester a few of my colleagues and I founded the Institute of Management Accountants and Finance Professionals on campus. This was a great feat for us since it is the first student chapter on the east coast and I believe the success of our organization, like any, has come from the dedication of its people.   

What are your plans for the future? 
This past summer I interned at the marketing firm, Ogilvy & Mather, where I worked in the finance department.  As far as plans go for after graduation, I know that I want to be in the financial sector but I am not too sure as far as what I really want to concentrate in. I have been trying to leave that open so I do not miss out any other opportunities in the future.