Career Corner

Pace student Shaliza Kassam ’12 talks about her internships with O, The Oprah Magazine, Hamptons Magazine, JPMorgan, Definition 6, and more, and why Career Services has made internship-finding a “piece of cake.” Also, submit your own intern spotlight!

Student Spotlight: Shaliza Kassam 

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I am originally from the windy city, also known as Chicago. I am entering my senior year at Pace, and am majoring in Marketing and recently added a Finance minor after interning at JPMorgan. Oh, and I love puppies!

What co-op/internships are you currently participating in or have completed?
When I was a freshman at Pace my roommate convinced me to sign up to volunteer for the Tribeca Film Festival. While at my training, I spoke to the woman in-charge and she recommended that I collaborate with the VIP department, so I took her up on her offer. And a year later, this is what caught the eye of someone at O, The Oprah Magazine. To be honest, my first “official” internship with O, The Oprah Magazine spoiled me. It was my first internship in the city. The people I worked with were wonderful and the building was one of the most beautiful I have ever had the privilege of working in. I mean, floor to ceiling windows, button-less elevators and a gourmet cafeteria with chefs from around the world- who could want more? After celebrating the tenth anniversary of the magazine I said goodbye to the Hearst tower and went home to Chicago for the summer. While I was home I interned with Michigan Avenue magazine, a smaller publication affiliated with Niche Media LLC- you’ve probably seen their local publication in NYC called Hamptons magazine. I worked in the Marketing and Events department here and attended some truly amazing events. In the spring of 2011, I joined JPMorgan Chase & Co.’s Private Bank, where I interned as an Event Management Intern primarily in their Client Center. After my internship with JPMorgan I contemplated my next move. I thought to myself, “I’ve worked in the arts, in entertainment and in corporate; so what’s next?” Currently, I am interning at Definition 6, A Unified Marketing Agency in the Account Services and Marketing departments. My current internship is definitely unique, from space to substance. The office is like none-other and the culture is different from what I have known in the past. As I spend more time with this company, I begin to love it more. And gaining all this great experience doesn’t hurt either!

How did you get involved with Career Services and what resources would you recommend to other students?
Not to toot my own horn but I believe I am a good student, but a great worker. I have always been eager to grow up and get a job. In high school, I found my first job the second I was legally allowed (where I was later promoted into my first Marketing gig). So, as a freshman I worked hard to do well academically, but I was itching to apply what I learned. Enter Career Services. I actively researched the program and took the initiative because I wanted an internship and I wanted experience. And that’s the most important part. You need to want an internship bad enough because it is not just going to land on your lap. You are going to have to work for it, but Career Services definitely helps. I can literally go to my counselor about any career-related topic (and sometimes not career-related) and voila, I get answers. Change in career path? No problem. Having trouble finding an internship? Piece of cake. This department really has it down and they know what they are doing. And most importantly, they want to help students find internships, get experience and excel. I have spoken to many friends about their career centers and their experiences, and no one’s experience compares to the one I have had here at Pace. If you are not already utilizing this service to the fullest, I suggest you get down to 41 Park Row, get in the elevator, hit floor 14 and they will help you. Simple.

What do you like most about being a Pace University student?
The best part about being a Pace student is that going to Pace means that you are surrounded by New York. And to take advantage of these opportunities, the Career Center is there to guide you.

What are your plans for the future?
Well I plan to graduate in May of 2012, find a nice place and a nice puppy. I am not sure if I will be here in New York or if I will move back to Chicago yet, but I plan to have that figured out before May to ensure a job before graduation. Regardless of where I end up, I am excited to see how it unfolds!

Contact Career Services today to learn how you can find exciting internship opportunities like Shaliza.

Do you want to be featured in Career Services’ next intern spotlight? Market yourself and be the envy of your friends as they run your story and help build your brand. All current Pace University students and all majors are eligible. So nominate yourself today!